Saturday, October 10, 2015

Wk 6, Assignment 2

Kristen Brown
LBSU 302
Week 6, Assignment 2
October 10, 2015

            As I read the lecture for this week, I came across several things I hadn’t really thought about before.  I knew about copyright and what that means but did not realize that it was taken into account with journals, articles and the like.  I had thought that as long as things were cited properly, then that was enough.  I was also not aware of the “Creative Commons licensing” being another form of copyright.  And with it, works can be reused to a certain extent.  The video “A Shared Culture” discussed the Creative Commons gives people a comfortable feeling using someone else’s work by still giving credit where credit is due.  It is a type of cultural exchange, which gives people a freedom in sharing. 
   I also found whether something is common knowledge or not interesting.  How, you could put something into a paper assuming it’s common knowledge when in actuality it is not, and doing this would be plagiarism.  It would be taking someone else’s idea as your own.   I did not know that “if you find the same information undocumented in at least five credible sources” (Purdue Writing Lab, 2011. Week 6 Lecture pg. 2) then it could be considered common knowledge.  Otherwise, it is considered plagiarism. 
            I found that utilizing the open access journals to be a little more difficult in refining the search to obtain usable search results.  It also made things a little more difficult wading through what was English and what was not.  But in the end, I was able to find results that were relevant to my research question and helped me to have a deeper understanding of the challenges in integrating technology into a classroom.  Even with the open access journals and articles being a little more confusing, I do think I would use this in the future for any research I may have to do. 


No comments:

Post a Comment